•With the improvements in technology, which has resulted in continuous real time dissemination of company information and because of the introduction of the two strike tests, it is decided to assess the role of AGM for future.
• According to this discussion, the shareholder engagement issue need to be rectified for future reference.
• The current functions and format: This AGM is forum for shareholders and serves various purposes in the form of general engagement process that links between company and shareholders. This is a mechanism for accountability to control of the company to the owners.
• The AGM is for reporting, questioning, deliberating, decision making in the company’s critical decisions
• AGM must be held at reasonable time and place. Companies may go for using advanced technologies to hold AGM more than one venue on condition that shareholders as a whole have a reasonable opportunity to participate in the meeting.
• Institutional shareholders may prefer to raise matters directly to the company as they arise instead of waiting for the question, meeting or exercise their right to question, vote or comment at the Annual General Meetings.
• The resolutions that should be passed in general meetings, might decided earlier before AGM by proxies logged by institutional shareholders who have already exercised other avenues of communication and then not decided to attend Annual General Meetings directly.
• The members who attend the Annual General Meetings are less in numbers, therefore it has led to debate that whether AGM in its current role is supportive or not. So it can point to the opportunities it creates for its participants including institutional shareholders if they think there is need to express publically or in some other forms.
• There will be legislation of the use of technology in conducting Annual General Meetings. There might be questions whether the companies should be allowed to use internet or such technologies for conducting Annual General Meetings.